I wrote something like this a long time ago and following all the “DO MORE PT AND TRAIN” comment, I was wondering how the warriors and survivors of blog land measure up to what the survival experts and psychologists of the world said would make the ideal survivor (2013).
Physical Attributes (SIX)
- 170cm 70kg for women 178cm 75kg for men
- Aged 14-25 for women, 16-30 for men.
- Children 11-16, mature enough to look after themselves.
- No allergies, unassisted vision, good manual dexterity and verbal communications skills.
- Not dependent on drugs, alcohol, or nicotine, ALL inoculations up to date.
- Physically fit and not prone to illnesses.
- A natural leader with a strong warrior and survival instinct.
- Able to balance confidence with reasonable doubt.
- Brave if not courageous.
- Calm in the face of danger, able to assess the reality of situation and not be swayed by emotion thus able to keep ones focus under stress.
- Constantly situationally aware, able to respond quickly to situations
- Knows their personal limitations yet is not afraid to exceed them.
- Mentally running scenarios through their minds making and evaluating plans to cope.
- Not morally tied by laws, regulations, or religions.
- Organized and methodical.
- Preferably with someone to care (love) for.
- Stubborn, never gives up, with a can do mentality
- Suspicious of all yet exhibiting a caring helpful attitude to others.
Desirable Skill Set (SIXTEEN)
- Able to drive any car, motorbike, bicycle, horse, and row or sail a small boat.
- A good “junk yard” engineer, DIY’er , welder, fabricator, and carpenter.
- Automotive, Electrical and electronic equipment repairer with the ability to fix things with limited or no documentation, scavenging parts as required.
- Basic animal care and agricultural skills (Growing vegetables)
- Camping and bush-craft skills from Knife only to debris and “tarp and tent”.
- Can cook from scratch using basic stores or hunted and foraged ingredients on a fire or basic stove.
- CBRN trained
- Commercial security training and experience
- Communications capable using line, radio, visual, and sound techniques
- Defeat or circumvent security devices and locks
- First Aid trained to an advanced level
- Good at metal and woodwork using basic hand tools
- Hunting, fishing, trapping, and foraging skills
- Know basic climbing and rope craft
- Military or militia service and current weapons training
- Survival training for hot, cold, sea, and mountain environments including self defense.
You’ may have noticed that the basic requirements of the ultimate warrior / super survivor have been left out. i.e. Carrying a 50% or above bodyweight pack running uphill for 5 miles, then hiking for 30 miles, whilst carrying a shotgun, rifle, machine pistol, 200 rounds for each weapon plus 20 liters of water. Not forgetting doing this with no sleep for 120 hours in the middle of winter wearing nothing but a smile and boots.
OK, the challenge.
I no longer come close to meeting this list physically and don’t mind admitting it. There again I never said I was one of the Macho brigade.
Physical (about a ½ out of 6),
Mindset (10/12), and Desirable skills (14/16)
Hows about it?
Did the experts describe you?
Just two things to ask after that.
- Did you also meet
“Der Ultimative Krieger Und Überlebende”
” The ultimate warrior and survivor grade?
- Hows the frostbite?