Antiseptics

First a Disclaimer.
I am not a medical professional and this is a subject that could cause you harm. 
You must seek a medically qualified persons advice before using any of the substances listed below as some people are allergic to them.
I shall not be held responsible for any harm, damage, or loss. You should have checked.
Dankins Solution.
Basically watered down 5% household bleach. Prevents and treats skin infections and as an antiseptic wash. Use once a day, twice maximum if really bad.
Protect surrounding skin with Vaseline.
Mix as follows. Keep in the dark. Shelf life 1 month unopened, 48 hours open. 32 oz (4 cups) of tap water. Boiled then allowed to cool, add ½ tsp baking powder. Then add bleach as below.
32 oz Water
Full Strength
1/2 Strength
1/4 Strength
1/8 Strength
5% Bleach (Clorox)
3 oz Bleach
3 Tbsp + ½ tsp
1 Tbsp + 2 tsp
2 ½ tsp
The Iodine’s
NEVER USE IODINE IF YOU ARE ALLERGIC TO IT.
You can use Iodine to purify water but with CAUTION as pregnant women, young children, babies, persons with thyroid problems, or using lithium cannot tolerate iodine.

Some folk are just plain allergic to iodine and iodine treated water especially those with shellfish allergies.
(TI) Tincture of Iodine (alcohol and PoI or SiI ) /(BE) Betadine (the trade name for) (PI) Povidine-iodine.
Lugol’s solution is a mixture of iodine and water.
It can be used as a germicide BUT it can cause scarring.
To avoid this problem wash off with 70% ethanol.
Best kept for water purification.
Tincture of Iodine. Alcohol and iodine mix.
It is generally too strong for skin and can damage tissue and slow down healing.
Best kept for water purification.
Povidone iodine is an antiseptic for almost everyone.
Don’t use if you have an allergy to iodine or seafood.
Use a cotton bud and paint it on. It does stain the skin.
Betadine. Antiseptic and anti fungal. Used prior to surgery to cleanse skin.
It’s an iodine kills bacteria but also the healing cells within the wound. Use as a skin wash only.
Non Iodines
Chlorhexidine gluconate is generally safe but not for ears (Can damage hearing). It’s got persistence i.e. paint on, let dry, and it’s still working for up to 6 hours later.
Hydrogen Peroxide is nasty stuff. It can clean wounds but it damages tissue and can cause scarring.
Sodium bicarbonate has been used to prevent blistering and scarring with scalding.
As an antiseptic it’s poor BUT can help cure fungal issues as it’s a biocide.
Other uses include making toothpaste. Oral hygiene being VERY important.
Salt. Just plain old salt. High concentrations of salt can kill off bacteria. Problem is TOO HIGH a concentration of salt can also damage tissue.
Still as a mouthwash it’s good, it also aids the healing of burns because salt water works as an antiseptic to remove bacteria from the infected area.
Saline solution is easily prepared:
1 Teaspoon Salt
8oz. Warm Water (From a rolling boil)
2 Teaspoons Baking Soda (Optional)
Natural Antiseptics
I love the natural stuff in life. They are generally safe, and easily obtainable.
Honey (Antibacterial) Paint on, 3 times a day
Sugar (Antibacterial) Pack on, remove when slimy
Lemon Juice (antiseptic)
Tea tree oil (antiseptic and antibiotic)
Lavender (antiseptic and astringent)
Carrot (antiseptic)
Clove oil (strong germicide and local pain killer)
Clover (broad spectrum antibiotic)
Garlic (contains allicin, a powerful antibacterial)
Onions (antibacterial)
Alcohol (antiseptic)
Vinegar (antimicrobial)
Roadside hand wash or flush for wounds. 
If you are healthy and have not got any STD’s or UTI’s, fresh urine is a good sterile wound wash.
It is mildly acidic. Note mixing urine with bleach will release chlorine GAS.
BUT NOTE, it is only for extreme emergency use, “a battlefield emergency” and ASAP the wound should be washed with proper antiseptic.
Colloidal Silver
Silver and most silver compounds are toxic for bacteria, algae, and fungi. Colloidal silver is basically silver in suspension. Silver is capable of rendering stored drinking water potable for several months. For this reason, water tanks on vehicles are often “silvered”.
CAUTION. Too much silver over a long time will turn the whole body “a silver colour”.
Simply produced using pure 99.999% silver (not sterling silver) wire, three 9v batteries, 2 x 12 volt bulbs, and a glass of purified water.
Caution. Run it for about 20 mins BUT you will have to keep cleaning the electrodes as one of them will “BLACKEN” as the silver dissolves in the water. The water is best kept hot and stirred frequently.
DO NOT DRINK THIS SOLUTION. Despite some saying it is good  for you, it can PERMANENTLY turn your whole skin silver coloured. . 
Advertisements
This entry was posted in prepping and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.