Radio iodides are products of a nuclear accident or bomb.
If ingested or inhaled can cause a build up of radioactive material in your thyroid. That may cause thyroid cancer.
The generally recognized way to stop this is to take Potassium Iodide (KI) or Potassium Iodate (KIO3) tablets. Their job is to fill the thyroid with “good iodine” so it will not absorb the BAD radio iodides. Except they may not be easily obtainable for people living in 4th world countries like the UK.
There is however a field expedient alternative BUT before that, if you have time, and before an attack or incident develops:-
Put on your basic PPE.
- First don your mask.
FPP3, N98 particle masks OR BETTER.
The fastest way for nasty stuff to enter the body is by breathing it!
Second fastest is by ingesting it so forget food or drink for a while until you can sort out a safe way to do both.
- Put on a set of hooded waterproofs i.e. top and leggings, tape the leggings to your boots to “seal them”.
If you are wearing wellington (rubber) boots, do not tuck the leggings into the boots but pull them over the boots.
- Don waterproof working gloves (nitrile coated or rubber dipped).
Tape the waterproofs to the gloves. Gaps will let “nasty stuff” in.
- Wear a pair of wrap-round safety glasses or preferably safety goggles.
- Slap on a safety helmet!
I did an article on iodine a long while ago [Called Iodine, Truth and Myth] in which I mentioned about taking KI. What I should have included was this easy tip.
CAUTION. Dangerous Advice.
Check with your medical professional before taking any medicines or using any field expedient alternative as you may be allergic or hypersensitive to its effects.
If no KI tablets are available, you can topically (on the skin) apply an iodine solution, like tincture of iodine or Betadine, for a similar protective effect. (WARNING: Iodine solutions are NEVER to be ingested or swallowed.)
For adults, paint 8 ml of a 2 percent tincture of Iodine on the abdomen or forearm each day, ideally at least 2 hours prior to possible exposure.
For children 3 to 18, but under 150 pounds, only half that amount painted on daily, or 4 ml.
For children under 3 but older than a month, half again, or 2 ml.
For newborns to 1 month old, half it again, or just 1 ml. (One measuring teaspoon is about 5 ml, if you don’t have a medicine dropper graduated in ml.)
If your iodine is stronger than 2%, reduce the dosage accordingly.
Absorption through the skin is not as reliable a dosing method as using the tablets, but tests show that it will still be very effective for most. Do not use if allergic to iodine.
The dosage and a fuller article on what to do when the nuclear SHTF can be found here at http://www.ki4u.com/guide.htm .
One very useful guide to all things radioactive and down-loadable as a PDF. So, as the guide says, print a few copies out NOW!