Defence cuts means the only remaining fighting unit in the British Army could be completely destroyed in an afternoon by a ‘competent enemy’ such as Russia, a new report has warned.The report was compiled by the Centre for Historical Analysis and Conflict Research (CHACR), the army’s own think tank. (Daily Mail).
Typically the Ministry of Defence replied:
‘The army… is ready and capable of deploying a potent, large-scale, war-fighting force at divisional level with sufficient notice.’
But they would wouldn’t they?
CHACR saying that at best the army could deploy 10,000 men (eventually).
Current guesstimate of the Russian Army strength?
771,000 with 2 million reservists and with full and free movement for them on home turf.
While NATO is on a limb, spread round like confetti, at the end of a long supply chain.
- When ten to the enemy’s one, surround him;
- When five times his strength, attack him;
- If double his strength, divide him;
- If equally matched you may engage him;
- If weaker numerically, be capable of withdrawing;
- And if in all respects unequal, be capable of eluding him, for a small force is but booty for one more powerful.”
– Sun Tzu, the Art of War.
OK he didn’t have automatic weapons, tanks, aeroplanes, or tactical thermonuclear bombs to contend with BUT the numbers game alone would probably pan out as a wipe out in hours, a quick clean up and back for tea. Only I’m not just talking about the UK’s forces. I include NATO as a whole becoming ineffective within 24 hours.
Sobering thought? So is war.